A historic cabin in Ouachita Parish sits virtually concealed, all but completely deserted and succumbing to mother nature.
Sharing a little rural clearing in the southern section of the parish with two close by 20th-century houses, the Rawls Cabin is the rarest surviving case in point of a solitary pen log household.
The cabin signifies the continuing prominence of the Upland South Tradition in the space and may well be a single of the parish’s oldest surviving log structures.
Log properties as soon as dominated the countryside of western Ouachita Parish. When the Rawls Cabin was very first mentioned on the Nationwide Sign up for Historic Spots on Aug. 9, 1991, log buildings were being relatively exceptional. Of the 142 rural buildings that were recorded in the parish’s Historical Structures Study as staying at least 50 years aged, only 14 were being produced of logs.
Restoration, not remodel: Bosco Plantation Residence on National Register of Historic Destinations
The two-home construction is made up of a single log pen approximately 16 square toes and a smaller sized frame lean-to attached at the rear. A plank door connects the two spaces. A shed roof is attached to the façade. The sills forming the foundation are hewn in a rectangular shape and are resting on stone and wood piers. The pen alone is constructed of spherical logs split down the centre.
The scaled-down lose home is sheathed on the exterior with sawn weatherboards. Architectural proof indicates that the two rooms have been developed at the very same time. The pen’s very low-pitched roof has a deep overhang on the facet, clapboarded gables, and an off-middle plank doorway pierces the façade. Further exterior doorways are found on the pen’s east facet and the get rid of room’s rear wall. The dwelling retains its authentic wood plank flooring.
Regardless of moderate variations over the yrs considering that its construction such as the substitute of its initial shingled roof to 1 of corrugated sheet metal, the cabin retains the architectural characteristics that make it significant.
Crafted in 1883 by Abner Rawls, the cabin was purchased in 1911 by the McKeel family members, some of whom occupied the property right until 1976. The home is currently owned by Davis Bamburg, in accordance to the Ouachita Parish Tax Assessor’s Workplace documents.
While log structures would have been erected from the date of the first arrival of Upland South settlers, none seem to have survived from the early time period. With its construction date, the Rawls Cabin pre-dates all of the parish’s other log properties, most of which were being created in the 1890s or just after 1900.
Support regional journalism by subscribing at https://cm.thenewsstar.com/specialoffer.
This report originally appeared on Monroe News-Star: Solitary pen log residence in Ouachita Parish det
ailed on National Sign-up