Camillus, N.Y. — A new apartment building prepared for the previous Camillus Cutlery web site will resemble the manufacturing facility that burned down 8 a long time back in 1 of Onondaga County’s most significant fires.
Camillus Mills Redevelopment Co. strategies to build a 3-tale, 60,500-sq.-foot building on the concrete slab of the previous Camillus Cutlery manufacturing facility together the west bank of 9 Mile Creek in the village of Camillus.
The developing will have 6,500 sq. ft of industrial and retail space, and 58 one- and two-bedroom, market-level residences.
Camillus Mills Stage II LLC, an affiliate of Camillus Mills Redevelopment, will very own the constructing. Camillus Mills Redevelopment will keep possession of the land.
According to strategies filed with the Onondaga County Industrial Growth Agency, the setting up has been developed with clapboard siding, plenty of home windows, various household balconies and a flat roof to match the 1 that was on the manufacturing unit that sat on the site for quite a few many years.
“It’s in the spirit of the factory, but it’s not an actual replica,” claimed Doug Sutherland, a member of the project’s development group.
In contrast to the aged factory, which sat adjacent to the sidewalk on Genesee Street, the new setting up will be set back 40 ft in deference to Camillus Cutlery’s previous headquarters building, which the same team redeveloped into 29 flats and 8,800 square feet of industrial room in 2017.
Forty-4 protected, decreased-degree parking stalls and 53 open up large amount spaces will be made quickly north of the new building.
The Onondaga County Industrial Enhancement Company permitted $434,550 in tax abatements for the $13 million venture on Tuesday. The exemptions consist of $349,800 in income taxes on building components and $84,750 in condition property finance loan recording tax.
Flats at Camillus Mills are managed by Sutton Authentic Estate.
Camillus Cutlery obtained its get started when Charles Sherwood opened a knife manufacturing unit alongside the banking companies of 9 Mile Creek in 1894. Sherwood offered the manufacturing unit in 1902 to Adolph Kastor, a German immigrant who had opened a knife importing organization in New York Town in 1876. By 1910, the manufacturing unit utilized 200 people.
Above the a long time, the plant was a main provider to the armed service and also sold knives underneath the Boy Scouts and Sears labels.
Hurt by affordable overseas imports, the enterprise submitted bankruptcy and shut its doorways in 2007.
A fire on Feb. 11, 2013, destroyed extra than 100,000 sq. ft of the outdated manufacturing facility but spared the headquarters creating.