Most homeowners see a dark, damp, musty basement filled with foul odors and bad smells as the norm, but these conditions are a definite sign of hidden problems and that could put you and your family members at risk of health issues; asthma, breathing difficulties, topical skin irritations, rashes and unexplained flu-like symptoms. Let’s learn more about mold and how basement waterproofing can reduce the mold in your basement.
What are the Symptoms of Exposure to Mold?
These foul odors and bad smells can take over your entire basement in a short amount of time. And guess what? The smells originate from mold growing rapidly in your basement. If the growth of mold remains, you and your family are at risk of the effects of mold exposure. Common symptoms of mold exposure are red, itchy, irritated skin, coughing, wheezing, sneezing, and unexplained internal pain.
When should I Seek Medical Treatment?
If you or any other member of your family experiences these symptoms, it is best to seek immediate medical attention or treatment, as soon as possible. A trained professional can perform the proper tests to determine if you have been exposed to mold. If these unexplained symptoms go undetected for a long enough, the mold spores can quickly multiply in your home, putting you and your family in a dangerous situation and at a greater risk of serious health issues.
What Are the Causes?
Some homeowners believe mold can only grow in the basement, but the truth is, mold can grow anywhere; basement, bathroom, kitchen and laundry room, or on any surface. Mold enters your home as a tiny spore and spreads at a rapid speed. Once a tiny mold spore enters your home, it can spread throughout your entire home, as mold spores are small in size and airborne.
How Does it Grow?
Mold spores can form and grow within damp or wet conditions, in a very short amount of time. All mold needs to develop is moisture and a food source. Since mold spores tend to be airborne, they can easily multiply by simply falling upon a moist area in your home. Mold grows rapidly during the first 24 to 48 hours. But it needs food!
What Does Mold Eat?
Mold can grow on any form of fabric, wood and insulation-these are organic materials. This is why your basement is greatly at risk. But, once mold enters your home it can grow on almost any surface; ceiling tiles, wallpaper, carpet, wallboard, finished or unfinished drywall, sheetrock or other wooden surfaces. Mold basically grows on any surface. But it eats organic. So, it is best to purchase and finish inorganic, mold resistant materials for your basement.
Is it Possible to Protect My Home Against Mold?
Although there is no way to completely rid your basement or home from mold, the most effective way to protect your home is by waterproofing your basement. There are a lot waterproofing methods; paints and sealants that can be purchased over the counter in hardware and home improvement stores and centers across the country, but the most effective way to protect you, your family and your home from mold growth is through a waterproofing expert.
A good waterproofing expert will examine your basement and recommend the best and most cost efficient way to solve the problem. Basement waterproofing is most effective when completed through an internal system. This can include sump pumps, interior drainage systems, dehumidifiers, and more.
Once the waterproofer has prevented rainwater from entering your home and you’ve done your best to finish the room with inorganic materials, your basement is less prone to mold growth.