The longer you own your home, the sooner you’ll eventually need to consider window replacement. This is especially true if your current window products are old or made with cheap, low-quality materials if you live in an intense climate, or for a number of other reasons.
Whether you have a cracked window that needs replacement, you’re tired of an outdated look or want better energy-efficiency, window replacement can significantly enhance your home in many ways.
At Texas Remodel Team, our window contractors offer decades of experience as Houston’s leading experts in home remodeling. In this article, we’ve answered some common questions about the window replacement process to help you learn more about this important home renovation project and what to expect from it.
What’s the First Step in Window Replacement?
Once you’ve found a reputable and reliable window company to work with you on your replacement, getting started is easy. First, you’ll schedule a free, no-obligation, in-home pricing estimate and design
consultation in your home. During this initial meeting, your window contractor will help you decide on a new window replacement product according to your home’s needs, your preferences, and your budget.
Once you’ve decided on a window, you’ll schedule a time for installation. This appointment could happen sooner or later, depending on your availability, the availability of your window contractors, the weather, and other factors.
How Long Does the Window Replacement Process Take?
When having your windows replaced, each window should take around thirty minutes to install. However, this is just an estimate and the actual amount of time it takes will vary depending on a number of factors. There are many different factors that are going to affect the installation time of replacement windows, including the professionalism and experience of your window contractors. These factors include the following:
- Size: One of the biggest factors that you need to consider when it comes to window installation time is the size of the windows. If the windows are pretty standard size, you can expect a quicker install. For windows that are larger or of abnormal size, longer installation times will be required.
- Number of Windows: While it goes without saying, we have to mention that the number of windows that are being installed is going to really be the deciding factor of how long an install may take.
- Window Material: Depending on what the window is made from, it could take a shorter amount or longer amount of time to install your windows.
- Obstructions: If your windows are blocked by trees, shrubs, or large furniture, it is going to take longer due to having to move or work around these obstructions
- Materials Surrounding the Windows: Last but not least, the materials that surround the windows are going to play a big role in how long the installation may take.
How Can I Prepare for a Replacement Window installation?
- Prepping for your new window installation can be done by the installer or by you, whichever you choose. There are certain things you can do to help keep costs down and installation time to a minimum, however, so some homeowners like preparing beforehand for this reason.
- Strip the Window: You will want to take down any window treatments such as blinds, curtains, or shutters that may obstruct the installation process. If you have security sensors on your windows, you will want to remove these at this time as well.
- Clear the Area: Remove anything on the walls, such as picture frames, lamps, or side tables. Make sure the entire areas around the windows are completely clear on the inside and outside of the home to reduce the risk of damage to your property.
- Clear a Pathway: Make a clear path for your installer to ensure that they can get in and out of your home easier.
- Place Drop Cloths: Last but not least, place drop cloths around any area you do not want to get dirty. Your installer should do this, but you can never be too safe.
What Happens During the Process?
Once all of the measurements have been made and the contracts are signed, your window installers can get to work. After getting all of the measurements from their quote, they can order the windows they need to complete the job.
To get started, your window contractors will set an installation date that aligns with your schedule to make sure everyone is prepared for the install. They will remove the old windows and start to install the new windows. They are set into place, leveled with shims if necessary and nailed into place. After they are set into place, they will be finished out with trim to match your home.
Quality Window Installation Services In Houston
Now that you are more familiar with the installation process of replacement windows, it’s time to find someone to get the job done right. With over 25 years in the remodeling industry and amazing prices on the nation’s finest vinyl windows, energy-efficient windows, and other replacement window products, Texas Remodel Team has you covered.
For more information, give us a call to speak with one of our window replacement specialists over the phone. Or, to get started right away with a free, in-home pricing estimate for your next project, fill our online form and we’ll get back to you.